Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Chemotherapy - Day 3

08.05.09: Chemotherapy - Day Three

Today was my third day of chemotherapy, and it was a bit longer than the others. The office I have been going to in Bartlett, Dr. William Walsh's office, is closed every Wednesday, so I had to go to the Family Cancer Center in Oxford. It was a pretty nice facility, but my appointment was later than I am used to (I have been starting at 8:00-8:30, but today I did not start until 10:00).

Not only that, but this office does the processes a bit differently. While in Bartlett, I have been given fluid to keep me hydrated alongside the cisplatin. Today, however, the nurse alternated between giving me the medicine and the fluid at different times. It really made the day longer, as I didn't get out of the office today until between 2:30-3:00. I had planned on getting something to eat at Two Stick (a Japanese restaurant on the Oxford square), then going to see friends at the Business School since I was in town. Unfortunately I was too tired after the treatment; after eating, Mom and I just came home.

I think I was well-prepared today for chemo, even if it took longer than I'd hoped. I had to break down and shave my arms in the shower today, because two days of having medical tape rip out my arm hair is enough for me. I didn't have too much anyway, and I'm sure Nurse Lisa is going to like it ;).

I didn't take the same book today, but another current favorite of mine, "The Collected Short Fiction of Bruce Jay Friedman." Friedman is one of my favorite authors, though he has not written anything recently. He has had some of his books and short stories turned into movies, like the Steve Martin comedy "The Lonely Guy" or the Charles Grodin movie (and Ben Stiller remake) "The Heartbreak Kid."

This book was a good conversation starter for the lady sitting next to me, a former teacher from Madison and Oxford named Mrs. Bates. She talked to me for a while and told me about her Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. After a while, her medicine knocked her out, so I got back to reading. She was really cool though, and I will probably see her again when I'm back in the office three weeks from today.

After what seemed like an eternity, I was finally released from the office. When I got home I watched a couple episodes of my Flight of the Conchords dvds before I fell asleep. When I woke up, a friend that I have known my whole life, Jared Stevens, had come to visit. It was really nice to see him; I have only run into him once or twice since high school and we caught up on a lot of things.

I am still a little tired tonight, though, so I think I am going to take some more medicine and take it easy for the rest of the night. Goodnight and I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment